Hollywood Summer Safety Tips
Summer is the time of year everyone seems to look forward to! School is out, and family time and vacations are planned and enjoyed. However, summer creates a set of dangers and issues we should all be aware of and prepare for.
Here are a few tips to survive the summer:
- The Sun Can Burn! Just like in winter when we bundle up to protect ourselves from the cold, in the summer we also should wear protection. Instead of protecting ourselves from the bitter cold, we need to protect ourselves from the unforgiving sun. Apply sunscreen and reapply as necessary. You don’t want a nasty sunburn, and you don’t want to increase your chances of acquiring skin cancer longer term.
- Don’t Forget the Water. When out and about and having fun, you can easily forget to stay hydrated. The combination of increased activity and increased heat can really increase the risk of dehydration. Remember to consume water regularly throughout the day and more if you are active or exposed to the heat of the summer sun.
- Respect the Water. Speaking of water, make sure to practice basic safety around pools, lakes, and the ocean. Keeping a careful eye on kids is critical. Wear life jackets when on watercraft and always swim with at least one other buddy who can watch out for you.
- Creepy Crawly Things. Enjoying nature is a big part of summer fun. However, try not to bring home any hitchhikers, such as ticks. Ticks and mosquitoes can carry a variety of undesirable diseases, such as West Nile Virus (mosquitoes) and Lyme disease (ticks). Make sure to wear insect repellent.
- Get Them Out of the Car Seat! Vehicles can become ovens in the summer. Do not leave your kids or pets in the car alone. Even in modest heat, cars get much, much hotter than the outside temperature.
Keeping these few tips in mind should help to make summer a bit safer! We offer urgent care 24/7 at 6245 De Longpre Ave., near Sunset and Vine.
To find a physician, click here.